Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Hypomania's Runnin' Wild!

PhotobucketAfter all these years of wondering what my issue is I have finally discovered it! Hypomania! I have never heard of this thing and actually feel better having self-diagnosed myself. Have you ever heard of it? That’s what I thought. But now that I now have a name for what I am I feel 100% better about being a damned weirdo.

Every once in a while (meaning every hour or so) I go on wikipedia and search for random facts about stuff. I can hear a song, a name, or an idea and go there and find out what it is and its origins and such. 
This time I went looking for a wrestler that snapped and killed his family and himself. I saw that they said his son had what is called Fragile X Syndrome. While there I saw something called hypomania and thought it sounded cool so I read up on it. Hypomania has many different symptoms, ranging from awesome to even awesomer. Yes, that’s a new word. That’s what folks like me with hypomania do when we feel like it. Wanna see some other facts about this cool ass thing? Observe!

rapid talking: If you have talked to me you know that like most folks I am full of energy when I have consumed too much sugar. But another little known fact is that when I talk to you (like in my Rosscast’s) that is me controlling my voice. My natural pattern of speech is much faster and far lower. Camille says I talk from the back of my throat. Yeah, ask her to explain that.

inflated self-esteem or grandiosity: Someone say God Complex? I had a God Complex for the longest time and in the past year have come to grips with it. I know I am amazing. Why don’t you?

decreased need for sleep: You say insomnia I say there is other shit I would rather do than sleep. I get a few hours a night and that’s all I need. My lady says its unhealthy but its just the way I have always been. I feel like shit when I get a “full” night’s sleep.

flight of ideas or the subjective experience that thoughts are racing; easy distractibility and attention-deficit: I have to be thinking many things at once or doing more than one thing at a time. If I am ironing I am also cleaning, doing laundry, making food, listening to podcasts, writing, or reading. I have to do many things at a time otherwise it feels like I feel like crap. Even when I want to do one thing my brain is telling me to do more. Even now I am listening to a Podcast and writing but want to clean my kitchen and my tub right now. Also, if I am uninterested in something, I am damned near impossible to be around. I cant pretend to give a damn.

increase in psychomotor agitation: This pretty much means that when you are bugged or annoyed you get agitated and need to do something about it. This will include rubbing your hands together, flapping your arms, or in crazy ass cases, getting dressed and undressed. The last one I did more so in junior high and early high school. I would iron at least three outfits and keep switching them in the morning for no damned reason.

steep involvement in pleasurable activities that may have a high potential for negative psycho-social or physical consequences: This one not so much. I am not a dangerous person. Anymore.

For serious, when I read this I was like “You gotta be kidding!” So much of this made sense to me and it has made me feel so much better having diagnosed myself as a Hypomaniac! There are some possible positive effects of this.

“People with hypomania are generally perceived as being energetic, euphoric, visionary, overflowing with new ideas, and sometimes over-confident and very charismatic. Unlike full-blown mania, they are sufficiently capable of coherent thought and action to participate in everyday activities. A person in the state of hypomania might be immune to fear and doubt and have little social inhibition. People experiencing hypomania are the typical ‘life of the party‘. They may talk to strangers easily, offer solutions to problems, and find pleasure in small activities.”

Small activities, you say? I love ironing. Ironing to me makes me smile. Washing dishes is something I enjoy like people enjoy going for walks in the park. I would never consider myself the life of the party though. Unless I have been drinking. Then I am a comedian.

Well, I hope this clears anything up for folks that think I have issues. I don’t have issues, ya’ll. I have a subscription!

Rockets.

No comments: