Monday, August 22, 2011

"At Dawn" 1 of 2


His father always told him that as long as he kept the three stones in his pocket he would be safe. As he ran through the backyard a few houses from his own breathing hard enough to set his lungs on fire he prayed that his father had not lied. At the age of 9 he already knew that most things he believed in were lies. Santa. The Easter Bunny. The Tooth Fairy. He prayed God would not be shortly added to the list.

Nick stopped for a moment as he crossed another yard to feel the stones in his pocket. Yeah, still there he said to himself. As long as he knew they were there he knew he was safe. He didn’t feel safe but still…

A crash and a growl snapped Nick out of a small trance he was in. How could I be daydreaming now? He asked himself. He began running again and decided that a straight line was a bad idea. Maybe whatever was chasing him would think his path was what anyone would take. He turned right and headed to the side of his neighbors, the Robertson’s, house and headed towards the street. The sun had not risen yet. Nick didn’t even have time to change.

In his pajama pants and t-shirt adorned with his favorite Saturday morning cartoon character, he ran for his life. I could have at least grabbed some shoes he thought to himself. He reached the street and could not decide which way to go. He could run back home, assuming the thing would think he would not be stupid enough to do that. Or that’s exactly what the thing would think. A quick snarl made the decision for him as he ran away from his home.

As he ran he heard something fall to the ground. He immediately knew what it was and stopped. The stones! he thought. He turned and began running back to where he heard it fall. He saw it near the storm drain and images of it falling down and floating to the ocean never to be seen again. As he neared it something whipped past the corner of his eye. The thing!

Bad…” the thing hissed.

Nick had only caught glimpses of the thing. He refused to look at it directly. From what he knows its well over ten feet tall, has a tail, spikes along his its back, and clawed feet. Nick never wants to see its face.

“Just let me go” Nick said slowly. He wished he could put more brave his in his voice. “I just want my stone…”

Not your stone my stone you sick little beast this is not yours none of them are yours where did you get them answer me or I will rip your face off and wear it for a mask die give me my stones!” it screeched. Nick believed that it would rip his face off. It sounded so sure of itself. “Give me the stones this one is mine as well as others why did you take them give them to me I will kill you where you stand don’t make me hurt you!

It sounded to Nick like the creature had grew up watching bad action movies and remembered every cliché it heard. Suddenly the thing gasped and ran away not making a sound. Before it rounded the corner of a neighbors house it turned to face Nick. He put his head down and squeezed his eyes tight as the thing growled once more. After a minute or so he opened his eyes and the sun was peaking over the horizon.

Eight nights in a row of this. Nick needed to rest. He had a test today.

Nick sat in the principal’s office again. He had fallen asleep in class. He waited for his mother to arrive and dreaded it. He tried explaining that he was trying to keep the stones safe and away from that thing. She yelled at his dad for filling his head with nonsense. But it wasn’t nonsense. That thing was real and it wanted his stones. Bad.

“Again?” his mother asked as she dropped her purse on the floor in front of him. “This is the last time I’m coming in for this.” Nick felt her looking at him and raised his head to speak. “Don’t” she said. “If you say one word about a ‘thing’ chasing you for those stupid rocks you wont see your videogames for a month.”

“But…” he began but was interrupted as his principal entered.

“Hello, Mrs. Castles” Miss David said.

“Its Ms. Rockwell now” his mother corrected. “Been that way for almost a year. How long will this take?”

“As long as it needs to” Miss David said. Miss David had very little respect for Nick’s mother. They had known each other since high school and even back then she always behaved that every moment of her time you used was a moment she could be spending doing something far more interesting. “This is your child we’re here to talk about.”

“Sure” she sighed as they headed into the office. Nick rose slowly and followed. Miss David closed the door lightly as they all sat down.

“Now as you know” Miss David began, “Nick is a very bright student.” Ms. Rockwell rolled her eyes and checked her watch. “But for the past week he has been sleeping in class. He keeps mentioning…”

“Rocks” Ms. Rockwell finished. “I know the story. What am I supposed to do?”

“Have you talked to him?” Miss David asked.

“Yeah” Ms. Rockwell said. “I have. And I’m sick of hearing about those damned rocks. I told his father to stop filling his head with that crap but you know how men are.”

“Not really, no” Miss David said. Ms. Rockwell smiled. She had known since school that Sandra David was a lesbian. “Nick’s behavior can not be allowed to continue this way. Perhaps I could recommend a therapist.”

“You could but I wont be taking Nicholas there” Ms. Rockwell said as she picked up her purse. “If that’s it I’ll be leaving. I have something to do.” And with that she left without so much as a word to Nick.

“Is everything okay at home, Nick?” Miss David asked. Nick liked Miss David and hated that the most he ever saw or spoke to her was when he was in trouble. She was different than most adults he talked to. She actually seemed to listen.

“Everything is fine except for…well, you know” Nick said. “The thing.”

“I am sending you back to class but I want you to promise that you wont fall asleep” Miss David said. Nick nodded. “Okay. I will talk to you later.”

Nick walked back to class into a chorus of hooting from his classmates. His teacher, Mr. Soon, shushed them and they giggled. Nick sat at his desk and lay his head on the table. Falling asleep immediately.

My stones you son of a bitch gonna cut you open and watch you bleed you have no right no right those are mine why do you have what’s mine you need to give them to me not too late may let you live may but no promises give me my stones!” it screamed.

Nick lay in his bed watching as the thing stood at his window. Nick had actually fallen asleep. Normally he could feel when the thing was getting close to his house and would begin running before it arrived. But not this time.

Too late to run may as well give me the stones no place to go child no one believes you should give me my stones otherwise your face will be mine have you decided to give me my stones I think you should” it hissed. Nick knew that the thing had its face pressed against the window and refused to look. He heard a small click and knew that it was tapping at his window. “Look at me and it will all be clear you should not turn away face your destiny cowardly child no challenge should give me my stones otherwise I will hurt you more pain than you have ever felt pain not known in years…

“I’m not afraid of you…” Nick said. The thing tapped his window harder. “I’m not afraid of you.” The thing hissed through the glass. “If you’re so tough why cant you come in?” Nick asked. Why did I do that? he asked himself.

Brave boy now but I smell your soul your mouth and heart not at one you talk what you do not feel deceptive as many are but I know your lies and they will be your end” it said with almost a laugh in its voice. It knew Nick was afraid. “Want me inside I come inside this is what you asked for challenge me I do not back away I meet your challenge child.

No comments: