Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Grown Ass Man Tips: Standing Down


There are times in your life when you feel like you need to say something. Not because you are a man and “mansplaining” which is a term I hate because no matter what gender you are we all do it. But, men, we are at a time in history where learning to shut the fuck up, don't get involved, and picking your battles is more important than ever. Today guys are throwing themselves on grenades that are in the other room. They will hear something in passing and chime in. They will start an argument just because it is a thing to do and it is way out of hand now. They consider it a debate or discussion when in reality they are unhappy with their life in some way and looking for anything to distract them from dealing with it. “Why would I waste my time cleaning my house, taking better care of my body, and being nice to my people when there are women trying to walk around topless in New York?! What? No. I live in California, but still. Topless!”

Over the last few years I have made an effort to stand down more. Not because of society or because what is allegedly between my legs. But because it is just not worth my time to get involved in shit that does not concern me. I would lose my mind overhearing stupid things people were saying especially if they were talking about something I knew a lot about. But the strangest thing happened when I stopped doing it. I had more free time to think about things that interested me. I would just think “Damn, they are really confident in their ignorance” and continue about my day.

A lot of people get called selfish but I don't think that is the right word for it. If more people were selfish they would consider doing things that made their days better and the people around them that they cared about. I think the proper term is inconsiderate. Cutting someone off on the road because those few extra feet of space to get to a job you hate faster is selfish. Chasing a car down while cutting off others and putting multiple lives in danger while texting is inconsiderate. So when you consider jumping into a conversation that does not involve you consider standing down for a few moments. See? The moment you could've jumped in has passed. The topic has changed quickly because people really don't know how to have conversations anymore. You now get to go about your day without leaving the room and being called an asshole because you threw your hat into the ring when it was not asked for. Stand down. Move on.

Click here for previous Grown Ass Man Tips.

No comments: