Monday, September 19, 2011

View On DC 52


So after weeks of trying not to read any reviews that others have done of the DC 52 comics I decided to see what others had to say about it. A few people (Moyross and Pfax) who have read my stuff and Mr. Soot himself have said that its better that I am getting into these without knowing everyone’s full histories and haven’t read comics regularly in over a decade. By regularly I mean that I’ve purchased trade paper backs (TPB) since I’ve been burned by artists and writers coming out with three or four issues a year instead of the standard twelve.

After reading some of these reviews and even listening to one (only the issues I myself have read and covered) I agree with Mr. Soot and a few others. A lot of the people that are covering these never stopped reading and are having trouble seeing this stuff with new eyes. I am sorta guilty of this a bit with characters like Batman since even when I didn’t read them I knew some of what was going on. No matter what I still hate his son. Eff that kid.

                                      Smug bastard.

As some of you may know I review other things besides comic books (movies and TV shows at danterants.blogspot.com and dnashow.blogspot.com) and have questioned whether or not I have gone from being a fan to being a critic. I like to believe that I have managed to stay in the middle. I don’t watch movies and inspect every technical aspect of it but instead recognize when something like the music affects a mood or if a special effect is so bad it yanks me out of the picture. With these issues I am looking at the art first, the story second, and how I feel while and after reading it.

As I continue to write these I will be honest about my opinions and not do these and say things for the sake of being “the asshole” that doesn’t like anything and does things just to be different. I love art and I love comics and the fact that I am able to do so again for the first time on a weekly basis feels good to me. Thanks for reading.

- Dante

No comments: