Thursday, September 15, 2011

Batman And Robin, Demon Knights, Resurrection Man Issue 1

Mr. Soot was standing over me when I woke from my nap. He smiled and said “You’re like the Robin to my Batman.” I stood to give him a hug and he started laughing. “You’re my Jason Todd.” I wanted to cry but he says that is a sign of weakness and my tears get on the laptop. So I will man up and soldier on.

                                Batman And Robin 1

I hate the new Robin. I want him to get the Jason Todd treatment and get beaten half to death and blown up. I’m getting ahead of myself. The story starts with an agent of Batman is Russia about to whip a villains ass when some guy pops a cap in his ass and fries him to death telling him “I’m nobody. And so are you.

While explaining some very important information to Damien, the new Robin and Batman’s son (don’t you dare ask me to explain!), they head out on a mission to stop some guys from starting a radiation disaster. During the mission Robin causes a few guys to die. Batman doesn’t do what I think he should and fire him or beat his monkey ass.

Batman tries to explain the importance of saving lives and not ending them but this little bastard just brushes him off talking about how much better he is than all the other Robin’s. In other news the guy who killed that dude in Russia just killed another Batman. And he says “This new global circus act of his had to end. Its time to pay Bruce Wayne a visit.” Aah! Aah! Aah!

This issue had great art by Patrick Gleason and some of the story by Peter J. Tomasi. I just don’t like the Damien character. He is worse than Jason Todd and reckless to the point of suicidal. I’m sure there are people out there that like the little jerk but he ruined this issue for me. I do love this dude with all the headlights on his face killing Batmen though. He is a cool looking villain. If it wasn’t for Robin I would have liked this story more.

Demon Knights 1


I like Etrigan! When I first saw him I asked “Whose the fish demon?” The story starts with how a unlucky guy happened to walk into the room where the demon Etrigan was being held and Merlin The Magician locked the demon away inside of him. He can be called out when needed by Jason O’ Th’ Blood. Coolest. Name. Ever.

They happen into a bar where this evil sorceress and her army are heading and get into a brawl. Wanna know how evil this lady is? She has one of her wizards use a baby to find out where to go and the baby explodes. After Etrigan is summoned and starts breathing fire and kicking ass dragons show up to wreck shit.

This was a cool issue but not heavy in terms of depth. A more action packed story of the character than I was expecting. I was thinking it would take place in present day but its totally hundreds of years ago. Fun story but not something I would look forward to monthly. Story and art by Paul Cornell and Diogenes Neves.

Resurrection Man 1


I love this story and character. Never heard of him until today though. Resurrection Man wakes up in a morgue and screams in pain from being brought back to life. Apparently each time he dies and comes back he has a new power. This time its electricity. For unknown reasons he has to get to Portlad. So after stealing some cash he hops on a plane where he meets this strange broad (yeah, I use the word broad) with a red teardrop on her cheek who knows all about the people on the plane and why they are there. She transforms into a demon and starts killing people and attempts to bring the plane down.

Mitch aka Resurrection man fights her off with his new powers and defeats her but not before she lets him know that the dead want him back. Bad. These two chicks show up at the morgue and start asking where “John Doe” went and kill the workers before figuring they should try asking questions without covering their mouths. He ends up getting sucked into the planes engine and all of the passengers die. He wakes up in the wreckage with the ability to turn into water, which he does and gets away before another demon agent arrives in the form of a fireman.

This was a cool story and art by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning. Like I mentioned, never heard of this character but now I want to know everything about him. The way this was done it felt like I was watching a series like Dexter or Dead Like Me. Very cool and I will be checking this one out again.

No comments: