Thursday, August 6, 2009

Dante's Book Review: "Skulduggery Pleasant"

Photobucket
So one day while helping Camille out at the Graham Library I pick up this book she had told me about. She said that it was in the Juvenile section but it was awesome. Camille has awesome ass tastes when it comes to books (she gave me a “Zot” graphic novel and hooked me up with “Serena” which were stutardedly amazing) so I gave it a go. First I had to wait until she was done.

Now, I don’t wanna ruin too much of it because I really do want some of you to read it. The story is about a skeleton detective that uses magic to solves crimes. Yeah. After the death of a girls uncle she (Stephanie Edgley) she inherits his home, much to the chagrin of her greedy aunt, uncle, and cousins. Turns out her uncle was a part of an underground society of magic. Let the craziness begin!
Photobucket
This story wastes no time getting to the action. The author, Derek Landy, is a fantastic writer. No use of words you have to look up (Robin Cook), or terrible loose ends and plot holes (anything made by Stephen King after 1990). Also, Landy practices kempo. This shows in the action sequences. When was the last time you read a book that made it feel as if you were getting a workout? When Skulduggery Pleasant (the skeleton detective) twists someone’s arm before smashing their nose in, you feel it.

The young girl of 13 in this story, Stephanie, is actually fascinating. This isn’t a bullshit story about some lonely little girl that wants attention. This is the daughter I will never have but if I did I would want. She is strong, assertive, and clever. There is no young angst. Just a girl with a nice family that wants a bit more excitement in her life.

And boy does she get it!
Photobucket
She is immediately plunged into a world of magic that occurs all around us that we are unaware of. Creepy guards called Cleavers, untrustworthy but beautiful women, sorcerers, vampires, trolls, and all other manner of beasts occupy this story. I finished it quickly and Camille called me with some great news. There was another book.
Photobucket
Like an idiot I finished it too fast. I started it Tuesday night, barely touched it yesterday because I know how I am and will plow through 400 pages in a few hours, and finished it tonight. The second book managed to be better than the first! I didn’t think it was possible but Camille told me it was really good. I agree. How often can you read a story and so quickly fall in love with the characters? Derek Landy has made characters I would gladly read about even if there were just half the cast. Hopefully he doesn’t fall into the same trap Dean Koontz has with his “Odd Thomas” series. With those books the first two were awesome. The third was…okay (it was heavy with Koontz’s love of using people with mental handicaps and Golden Retrievers). The fourth was a huge letdown. It felt like he was just running on fumes and he’s not even done. There are more to come. Heavy sigh…

So if you get a chance, check out Derek Landy’s “Skulduggery Pleasant.” You will not be disappointed.

4 comments:

GESSIKA said...

it's not a terrible thing to have to look up words while your reading... =p this is me sticking my tounge out at you...

Dante said...

This is me not stopping you.

8======D

Perv!!!

Hoozle said...

Ahem. Moving swiftly on. The graphics on the US edition are much cooler than the ones for the Irish & British edition. Books 2 & 3 are on my list.

Dante said...

Thats funny because I believe the opposite. The covers you guys have are cooler and there are some with glow in the dark pages!