Saturday, November 5, 2016

Body Shaming Leads To Possible Jail Time


Earlier in the summer I wrote a post about the 29 year old Playmate named Dani Mathers after she took a Snapchat image of an older one in the gym nude and posted it online (click here to check that out). I said that nothing would happen to her because reasons and it turns out I am wrong. Los Angeles city attorney has filed criminal charges against Mathers citing invasion of privacy which is a misdemeanor. She of course apologized and said things like “That was absolutely wrong and not what I meant to do...I know that body-shaming is wrong. That is not the type of person I am.” Sure you're not.

Her attorney Thomas Mesereau said “I am disappointed that Dani Mathers was charged with any violation. She never tried to invade anyone's privacy and never tried to violate any laws.” I'm not a lawyer (shocking, I know) but I'm pretty sure its illegal to photograph someone nude without their consent and/or post said image online. City attorney Mike Feuer said “Body-shaming is humiliating, with often painful, long-term consequences," he said. “It mocks and stigmatizes its victims, tearing down self-respect and perpetuating the harmful idea that our unique physical appearances should be compared to air-brushed notions of 'perfect.' What really matters is our character and humanity. While body-shaming, in itself, is not a crime, there are circumstances in which invading one's privacy to accomplish it can be. And we shouldn't tolerate that.”

I couldn't have put it better myself. I was just talking to a friend about humanity and basic ass human decency. It is speculated that Mathers' attorney could said that the victim did not have an expectation of privacy which is a joke and proof that monsters are real. I know its a job as an attorney to get a client off free. I know this. But to be able to sit there and say that your client did nothing wrong by taking an image of a naked older woman at the gym, posting it online, making fun of her, and now having millions of people see it is not illegal is a goddamn joke. 

I'm sure you're saying that there are far more important things happening in the world right now to worry about than some woman being made fun of by a Playmate and its true. But the way I see the world, its the small shit that eventually because large things. You let something like this fly today tomorrow it will be okay for someone to fly a drone up to your window and film you legally. You may laugh now but think about this: back in the day we were worried about Big Brother watching us. Now we demand cameras everywhere like work, law enforcement, and in our pockets. That's it for Dante's conspiracy corner.

No comments: