Friday, November 21, 2008

...And I Feel Fine!

Okay, so here’s the deal. Next week is gonna be my last week at my job. I work in a mail room and I loved the job. It was by far the easiest job I have ever had. But that’s not the main reason I liked it. Notice all of the past tense “ed”’s I throw in here. It was cool. I got along with everyone. The pay was decent. The schedule was hype. So why am I fine that it’s all ending soon?

Because the new plans they have for it suck a huge one. Besides the fact that everyone will be forced to help out folks they don’t have the man power to and everyone’s days will be all kinds of thrown off, they (permanent folks as opposed to my temp ass) may be losing their jobs very soon. Seriously, what the fuck is with that? It’s supposed to be privately owned, but come on, dude. Don’t bullshit me. I write stories. I know all about bullshit. I love the mentality that corporations have right before they let people go.

Work you like a dog, fuck with your living, and hope you quit so they don’t have to cough up that unemployment. Well played. I have been looking for work and I pray that next week I will have something solid. The idea of not working does not excite me one bit. I am not one of those people that love being home doing bullshit. I feel bad for some of the guys I work with. Some of them (again, notice the subtle use of words like “some”) are really cool guys that are hard workers and have been there for years, a few over a decade. It’s not right that they will have to start looking for a new job. I will keep them in my prayers.

My lady asked if I was still praying and in case you’re reading this, babe. I am. I haven’t stopped since I started. It keeps me level headed and grounded. I think of all the shit that has happened to me in my life. The times I could’ve been hurt or killed. Homeless. Whatever. And I am still standing. Sorry, I’m having an Antwoine Fisher moment here. No matter what has happened I have still been able to be a good friend, mate, and worker. I don’t get worse in the face of adversary. I get better. I pick up new things no matter where I work and I do well whether I put 100% into it or not. At my current job I was putting in maybe 35%. Imagine what close to 90% would look like.

In the meantime I will stay your friendly neighborhood Negro. I will stay strong, positive, and as cynical as ever. Hope all of you are doing well and taking care of each other out there. It’s some crazy times we live in but as long as we have each other and watch one another’s backs we’ll be cool. Rockets.

No comments: