Sunday, December 25, 2011

Dante Hates New Years Day

Oh, New Years. Everyone fears it and loves it at the same time. No one wants to be alone on when that monkey ass clock strikes midnight. I have never had two of the damn things be the same since I’ve moved out of my parents home. That means that I have had the opportunity to have about fourteen different ways to have the night suck ass. My plan has always been to be drunk, making out with someone, or both. Rarely is it the case where I have these occur. Not even at a gathering of thousands where there are drugs everywhere. This is one about a rave.

Years ago I had a girlfriend who was way into the whole rave culture. Its about peace, music, and love. Which means its all about getting high or fucked while high. We went to Together As One at the LA Coliseum. Thousands and thousands of sweaty kids high on ecstasy and cheap, water downed booze. I had two glasses of vodka tonics and it had less actual vodka than a shot. I didn’t like rave music and I hate crowds so this was a bad idea from the very start. Everywhere you went there was walls of sound and kids passing out from too much everything.

The name of the rave may sound familiar to some of you. That’s because they had to shut it down because there was fighting and kids actually ending up with brain damage and dying from the drugs they were taking. I’ve never done ecstasy. There are some parts of my brain that don’t need to be accessed. We all have a Murder Button in our heads and I really have no desire to press mine while surrounded by people I don’t like.

The night became not about the music but my ex looking for a way to get high. We spent almost two hours looking for someone that had weed. This is not how I wanted to spend heading into the new year. It was time for the countdown and I did kiss but the ex was more concerned with posing for the camera while kissing. A small seed was planted that said “This is the catalyst.”

She ended up finding pot and it was time to leave. We called a cab but they were either all busy (it was New Years after all) or not coming to the area. Eventually a cab showed up. An angry Black cabbie. We got in and started driving. And by driving I mean weaving through traffic.

Not actual photo but close.
I noticed that the meter wasn’t running. He turned it on and I knew that we were being set up for some bullshit. He asked how much money we had. Were we being rubbed? We told him how much and he said it wasn’t enough. “That’s all we got” I told him. We ended up stopping at a back near my house to give him a little more. He thought we were gonna get back in the cab. I told him, no, and he drove off and we arrived home after having a shitty night out. Oh, and the pot she got was medicinal. Which equals hunger. Yeah.

4 comments:

Hazel said...

At least this sucked in an entertaining way! I don't have a single New Year's story to tell, except the 'I got invited to x number of parties and didn't go to any of them' kind of way. I am celebrating this year as I always do: sulking and sober. Happy New Year!

Dante said...

My plan is always to get drunk or make out and it just does not happen. I plan on being shitfaced this year. You can just sleep like a normal person or watch a good movie or something. You dont have to sulk, weirdo. Plus, most parties suck anyway. And this was not entertaining when it happened. This was hours of rage kept inside.

Hazel said...

That's the thing about New Year's, either you're meant to be wildly excited by it and therefore be up to party, or you're meant to hate it and therefore avoid partying and be in a bad mood. So I usually tell people I hate New Year's and will be in a bad mood because otherwise I would be pestered into having 'fun'. New Year's doesn't matter to me, I don't care either way so I usually sleep or go online or watch the countdown on TV. I really don't get what the big deal is. Ah well. More power to those who get a kick out of it I suppose. Fun-loving bastards.

Dante said...

I get nervous around people who get super excited about it. They are usually the ones you have to babysit later on because they drank too damn much or protect because they wanna start shit with strangers.