Sunday, August 5, 2012

Real Words Are Dead


I feel like Charlton Heston screaming at the sky in Planet of the Apes. Instead of yelling about shit being blown up I’m shouting about the further death of the human language. I feel like years from now I’ll be standing on a corner screaming in a language that is not longer spoken because I’m not an idiot. I’m guilty of making up words and damn near having my own language. Oxford’s English Dictionary releases new words that will be added and considered, like, new and acceptable words every year. I normally just shrug and shake my head when things like “security blanket” or “yadda yadda yadda” are added. But this year? This year I rage.

Graeme Diamond, chief editor of new words for the Oxford dictionary said this bullshit. “You have to show that the word has been in usage for a decent length of time and, most importantly, that the word is used and understood by a wide audience.” No, I don’t! Especially when these are the words that have been added.

Sexting: noun: the sending of sexually explicit photographs or messages via mobile phone.”

Cyberbullying: noun: the use of electronic communication to bully a person, typically by sending messages of an intimidating or threatening nature.”

So we can pretty much make up whatever the fuck we want, right? If my spell check doesn’t think its real then damn it its not real. And just to piss me off a bit more that have added “FYI.” I hate that word and have mentioned that no one but dicks say it. And just in case I still had some extra hatred left over they added “LOL” and “OMG.” For serious? I’m gonna shut up and communicate through print and grunts.

2 comments:

Hoozle said...

I find I use the stupidest words and expressions in a work context, there's something about corporate culture that leads to the rape of language. Yes, I have said 'FYI'. Yes, I have said "going forward'. I have even said 'if we want to grow this sector...'. And I don't even work in a very corporate environment. God help me and the English that I use if I ever get a proper job. LOL.

The logic of the Oxford English dictionary's editor escapes me. To my mind, the OED is the definitive guide to the meaning and use of words in the English language. However for the last twenty years at least, it just seems to see itself as a compiler of slang and lazy additions to the language. 'Bonking' was added to the OED in the mid 90s, due to its frequent use in the UK tabloids. The UK tabloids! Since when are they, the lowest common denominator mass media, the arbiters of the English language? Incredible.

Have you read George Orwell's essay on the importance of clear, precise language? If not, check it out here: https://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/orwell46.htm It's a bit long and involved as he's more concerned about the corruption and misuse of language by political groups, but he has some great points: "A man may take to drink because he feels himself to be a failure, and then fail all the more completely because he drinks. It is rather the same thing that is happening to the English language. It becomes ugly and inaccurate because our thoughts are foolish, but the slovenliness of our language makes it easier for us to have foolish thoughts."... "Modern English, especially written English, is full of bad habits which spread by imitation and which can be avoided if one is willing to take the necessary trouble. If one gets rid of these habits one can think more clearly."

Clear speech, clear thinking. It's the bloody least we owe ourselves as human beings.

*falls off of high horse*

Hoozle said...

Ha! I remember the Dantictionary!