Thursday, November 29, 2012

Dante's Fuckit List Entry 12

A few years back there was something I started doing most Sundays for the better part of two years. I did it once in a while as a child and didn't miss it when I stopped. When I started again it was fine except for some occurrences that would make me mad or annoy the hell out of me. This is something that many of you still do but if I never did it again I'd be perfectly fine with it.

Go To Church.


This isn't a blog about me bashing religion. You can all worship and fear or love whoever you want. I just don't want to. When I was little I didn't go all that much and when I did I usually fell asleep until my mother would jostle me awake. To me church meant wearing clothes I didn't want to, hearing loud music instead of watching cartoons, and hearing my mother gossip about what folks were wearing. You know? Just good old fashioned worshiping.

I don't have a problem with religion. If used properly it keeps most of you damned lunatics in check. I hope some of its true so I can see some dragons. Its the people that hide behind it to do bad things or do bad things and use it as a safety net. That always bothered me. I would sit in church and watch people give other people the stinkeye and wonder how they could be so God fearing yet so mean. Just like...a bad person. No, I don't consider myself one of the best people on the planet. I wish death upon people who text while driving. But I don't try to wash it away weekly or tell other people how righteous I am.

The only times I seem to go to church now is for weddings. I haven't been to a funeral for a few years and don't plan on going to any anytime soon. Don't ask me to go to church with you. Just accept that I never need to go there again and we'll both be good.

 Click here for previous Fuckit Lists.

No comments: