Friday, March 15, 2013

Folks Still Read: California King Book Review



I love books. I have never understood people who say that they don't read or have time to read. There is always time to read no matter how busy your life. I read a couple of books a week not because I'm in school or anything but because reading is fundamental. I really believe that. Books are better than movies in most cases and are a great way to keep your imagination sharp. On the flip side of all this are bad books. There is nothing worse than a bad book. I've read stuff from friends and they have ranged from complete ass to good. So when I was asked by a friend, Heather Cox, to read her book, I have to admit that I was nervous.

I had never read anything she had written besides Facebook updates and emails and had no idea whether or not she could write a book. Well, allow me to tell you all that she can indeed write. She can write her ass off! When I read books most of the time there is a moment or two where I laugh, cringe, or very rarely get emotionally involved.

California King does all of these.

“It's 1981 and Hollywood is no Wonderland. The drug scene is rampant, the punk music scene is prevalent, and the city is dirtier than its star-studded sidewalks. Wounded young widow Heather arrives from New York to establish a new life. Among the veteran alcoholics and social deviants she encounters she meets Don, the ambitious musician with the heart of gold. But life is never that simple. She also begins to fall for abusive male prostitute and addict, Bobby, an intimidating and charming fugitive from Manchester. Erotic, ridiculous, always straightforward and gritty, California King follows their story of friendship, pain and obsession.”

Taking place in Hollywood in 1981 it follows a young Widow named Heather as she survives everything from alcoholics, drugs, and the devil himself (not really), Bobby. Now, I say Heather “survives” but in all honesty, she is a trouble maker herself. This isn't one of those “Oh, this poor young girl...” type of story. Heather is a tough ass chick that manages to find trouble and dangerous situations no matter what time of day and does as much harm as good. I found myself sighing at her multiple times. It made me feel like a disapproving mother or something.

Bobby, who I mentioned, is a bastard. Likeable, but still a bastard. Most times when there's a character similar in some way, meaning an asshole, they can end up being redeemable. You hated them and now you like them. My god, Bobby seems at one point to turn over a new leaf and then bam! There he is being a dick again. But for whatever reason you still want him to get his shit together. Whenever Bobby discusses his prostitution I just look out of my window at all the cruisers and go “Yep. Look at all them Bobby's.”

When reading this I started to feel like I knew these characters which is not something that happens often with books. The characters that were falling apart I wanted to get better and the ones that managed to get away I wanted them to stay away. You can all check out and order this book by clicking the links below.



Click here for previous Folks Still Read

No comments: