Friday, March 15, 2013

Folks Still Read: The Death Of Death Book Review



A few months back Parker posted a sample from his short story The Death of Death and I was intrigued. Just from the sample he gave I wanted to know if there was more to it. I knew that he wrote but had never seen his stuff. Hell, I'd “acted” in one of his short films but never had an opportunity to see how he wrote. He sent me the story and I was pissed because it was something I could never write.

One of the things I love most about reading certain authors like Phillip K. Dick, Walter Mosley, and Derek Landy, is that they will do something that makes me know that I am not at a level that is possible. 

This story, The Death of Death, made me think this and for that I owe Parker a punch in the throat.

“Death guides usually have rather normal names like John, Mary, Harry, and Jessica. And even ones not quite so normal, like Bartholomew or Ambrosia. They also have the most interesting tales behind their deaths. But one particular death guide has a few problems: she cannot remember her name or the details of her demise, and thus has no story of her own. One fateful night, she meets a young girl that may change her death forever.”

I know when people hear the word “death” they automatically picture sadness or some dark story. This is not that. Yes, while there is some tragedy involved this story ended up having a very cool theme throughout as well as an ending that I said “Son of a bitch...” to.

Totally in a good way though.

If you wanted to explain death and dying to a child I would totally recommend this story. That's not to say that adults wouldn't like this. Its a very naturally written story with a particular style I cant quite place. A sweet, touching story...about death.

Click here for a sample of the story and the following links to purchase it. Its just a buck!

The Death of Death for the Nook 
The Death of Death for the Kindle 
The Death of Death on Smashwords
The Death of Death on Kobo 

The Death of Death for the Kindle UK 

Click here for previous Folks Still Read

No comments: