Monday, October 28, 2013

My New Kitchen


Last week I got my kitchen redone. Before that I got my bathroom done because, seriously, my bathroom looked like hell. I hated if someone had to use my shower which happens like once every two years. I got the pervert window fixed and everything is groovy. So now came the kitchen. This nonsense dragged on for almost two weeks and involved so much bullshit happening. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

It started with a leak in my neighbors kitchen. That led to a hole being knocked in my wall under my sink. That led to my landlord offering to repair the whole thing which was awesome because I love how huge my kitchen is but the floor was shit and the counter was ridiculous. Even when it was clean it looked dirty. So the workers were supposed to come on a Monday so I gutted my kitchen. Emptied the cabinets, shelves, everything. My kitchen looked like hell.

Ew...

So I came home expecting a half done kitchen and...nothing. No work had been done. So I called the building manager and he said they went to handle something else and would come Wednesday. They didn't come. They end up showing up the next week on a Thursday with no warning. I just come home and everything is covered in dust and half finished.


They come back the next day and things are looking better but I am searching for dishes to use and washing them in the bathroom because they are covered in filth. Its no fun. So I start trying to straighten up what I can when suddenly I see something sitting on the stove in my cast iron skillet.

Who's hungry?!

That, my fellow Dantanians, is a acrylic spray can I use for my paintings that is extremely flammable. Now, you can say “Oh, it fell there because it was sitting on top of the fridge maybe?” No. It was under the sink but ended up on the stove which would've made for a very interesting new charred color on my walls.


Yay for microwaves from the 70's!

So they finish up but the floor is just ass. Paint, dust, bags from their work. Just crap everywhere. The floor guy comes a few days later and after two days of cleaning and putting things where they belong I finally had my new kitchen. I fucking love it. Its clean. Its white. I bought a rug for it and plan to get new decorations. It finally feels like a real kitchen. If you notice they got rid of the ice box that was from the 1920's. I wish I were here to see the workers when they opened it and Pretty Ricky wigs, Jason and Michael Myers masks, Death masks, and knives came tumbling out!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish you could have kept the icebox, that thing looked cool!

Dante said...

That's what folks say but it was just an excuse for me to hide shit that I didn't need.

Unknown said...

I'm glad your landlord allowed the renovations, Dante. However, it's disappointing that your contractors didn't start the work as originally scheduled. They could've finished the project as soon as possible. Well, I hope you're satisfied with the renovations. I'll just wait for your update about the floors.

Ryann Hoyer @ YanceyCompany.com

Dante said...

I actually just shampooed the carpets myself. I know that if they were gonna do something about my carpets that they would wreck something else. Oh. You mean the kitchen. The floors are nice in there. My carpet is cleaner but I could still use a new one eventually.