Monday, November 4, 2013

Shit Just Got Real 8


As humans we do stupid things that we hope no one saw. Back when I was little I did things that would have been Youtube sensation if it was caught on tape meaning my life would be ruined and I would not be the same guy you all know right now. The internet has changed the way a lot of people are handled when they fuck up in life. Take Michigan chick Alicia Ann Lynch. Please. Take her somewhere far from Earth.
She decided that it would be fun to come to work for Halloween dressed as a victim of the Boston marathon bombing. Now, depending on your levels of fucked up in your head you may think this is funny or even clever. You may even think that this is a “too soon” situation. Me, I think this is someone who had one of those horrible ideas and followed through with it. None of us are above them. See an old lady crossing the street too slowly and you imagine running her ass down making you Dodge earn its name. Someone talking too loudly on their cell phone and you want to throw it into traffic...after you through them.
But this?
This is just insensitive and fucking ridiculous. This is taking a bad idea and following through with it. Most of us are socially functional enough to not do this but apparently Lynch was not. During the bombings this past April 3 people were killed and over 260 people were injured. And by injured I mean injuries ranging from burns to losing their limbs. Not very funny or something that should cross your mind as a funny Halloween costume.
After posting this image on her Twitter and Instagram pages people lost their shit. They found images of her drivers license and posted it showing her address. They have sent death threats to her and her parents. They found nude images of her online and have posted them (she looks great nude by the way). And she has now lost her job. During a BuzzFeed interview she tried to enlighten us and just ended up digging herself in a deeper hole.
“I’ve had voicemails where they want to slit my throat and they want to hang me and tear off my face. I’m just like, I don’t even know how to respond to this right now..Honestly, it’s the Day of the Dead. I wasn’t a dead person, I wasn’t being disrespectful. I was a survivor of a marathon. And it’s not like I was walking around with a fake leg or my arm torn off or something like that...I have nothing to hide. It happened, I made a mistake. I just have to learn from it. I’m not a terrible person.”
Sigh.
You can only hope that after doing this that she learned something about not only herself but social media. This shit is a monster. You can think that posting something on your blog or Twitter page or Instagram or even Facebook (with your privacy settings made public or having snitchy friends) is just between you and a few people but then the next thing you know some random ass Black guy living in West Hollywood is writing a blog about how your life may very well be ruined now.
Click here for previous Shit Just Got Real.

No comments: