Monday, August 12, 2013

Dante Learns The 8th Amendment


I know I have not done one of these in a while but here I am continuing to learn the Amendments. Some of these I hear about but just small parts. Enough for people to prove their point while leaving out other aspects. Some of the ones that are in the Constitution are totally meant to keep British from fucking with folks or to say how we’re better than the kinds that used to run our shit. The 8th Amendment is one I know of but have never looked into thoroughly.

“Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.”

Cruel? Yes. Unusual? No.

As soon as I read that a giant question mark appeared over my head. Mostly because each of those three things happen on a daily basis and especially by the government. Let me break each part of these down.

“Excessive bail shall not be required” is laughable when you hear about someone’s bail being placed at millions of dollars or if they are kinda poor at thousands that they cant afford. You set someone’s bail to $100,000 they gotta come up with $10,000 of that in which case they probably wouldn’t have tried robbing someone for $500. Any amount that is more than what you could save in two months is excessive.

“Nor excessive fines imposed” just flat out makes no sense. Fines are almost always excessive. Hell, the amount that you have to pay for a meter running out is excessive to me and I don’t even drive.

"No! Not Honey Boo Boo!"

“Nor cruel and unusual punishments is inflicted” is to me the worst part of this in its silliness. Let’s look at capitol punishment. I’m all for it. Frying folks in chairs, lethal injections, gas chambers. Whatever. I know there are plenty of people against it and try to have it removed from his or her own state but I will always vote to keep it.

Now as fucked up as it is for someone who has murdered to be executed by being cooked alive its even worse that this is not considered cruel nor unusual. I’ve never known anyone to die from sitting in a chair. That is the definition of unusual. And until someone gets injected lethally and comes back to talk about how fucked up it felt saying it is cruel will always be up for debate. They say people cant feel it but how many times has your doctor fed you that load of shit?


The more I learned about these Amendments the more I wanna either move onto a farm and live life alone with a bottle of Jack Daniels in one hand and a shotgun in the other. Each one seems to make less and less sense to me.

Click here for previous Dante Learns The Amendments.

No comments: