Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Sorry, But Your Kid Is Ugly

I’m sorry to break it to you this way, but your daughter isn’t cute. I mean, she’s your child and you think that she is wonderful and beautiful and all that good stuff. But in the eyes of advertisers she’s a complete ugmo. A total Monet. I’m not saying your kid is ugly. Oh, no. But from what I see on television I am led to believe that the only kids that need to be on the screen have light skin and curly hair.

Won the Life Lottery without even knowing. 

Sleeping three hours a day and having hobbies that require lack of fresh air and leaving the house, means that I watch a lot of TV. Every commercial has a child that looks like the one pictured above. Even the parents that are three shades darker than me will have a child that is very fair skinned.

I’m not saying that if you look like the kids in the commercial or have kids that look like them you should feel bad. I think advertisers should feel bad. Because this shit is seriously ridiculous. The way this country looks should be represented a bit better.

According to TV science her parents are shadows.

The next time you sit in front of a television or watch a movie look at the family. When shows have White families they at least make an attempt to have the family look similar. But when it comes to Black families? Hell, look at The Cosby Show. I know I’m not the only one to think that Denise and Sandra were adopted.

Rudy knows what I'm talkin' 'bout.

As someone who grew up looking the way I look and seeing how kids with prettier eyes, nicer hair, or lighter skin were treated it sucks seeing that this is still going on. I found out a few years ago that my skin tone was back in style but I didn’t find out until light skinned dudes were back in style.

I’m fully aware that there are people born lighter than their parents. Like, way lighter than their parents! But the shit don’t happen as much as TV would have you believe. I wonder how many kids go to their friends house and are shocked that one of the parents is White.

Her parents? Kenyan.

No comments: