Sunday, October 9, 2011

Story Behind The Photo 4

This is a picture of me at the age of 16 displaying my ability to fly. I wish. Seriously. Do you think that if I could fly I would be sitting here not being able to sleep before heading to work on one of the most popular shows on television? I was new at Fairfax Magnet and when you’re part of the Magnet program you have to take certain art classes. I failed actual art about three times (yes, I draw till this day and have even designed tattoos for people and been published in a newspaper so fuck you, Miss Kim!) and had to take photography. Maybe this class is what made me dislike the career choice of taking pictures. “You just point and press a button. Not really art to me.” I still feel this way about photography 85% of the time. I cant help it. I’m sure some people feel the same way about drawing and writing to which I say: Swallow me.

My photography “teacher” Mr. Spitzer was an asshole. There’s no other way to say it. When people have flashbacks about how great school was I think back to Spitzer asking if I was gay. Saying I was gay. Hearing about his shitty marriage. Saying I had ADD. Enrolling me into a support group for suicidal/drug using teens. Sending me to the office for not going to the support group. Failing photography because my mother didn’t want to continue wasting money on photo paper and film. Ah, memories. The photo in this picture was supposed to be a pinhole camera. I learned how to make one of these but I couldn’t hold myself in the air long enough so fuck it, I used a regular one. I’ve always wanted to fly but never been on a plane. Go figure.

No comments: