Thursday, October 20, 2011

Toaster Strudels vs. Pop Tarts

There is a battle that has been raging for quite some time. Which is better: Toaster Strudels or Pop Tarts? In this article (look at me trying to sound like a journalist!) I will weigh the pros and cons of each of these treats. I normally would put this on my food blog but this is more babbly than usual.

“Toaster Strudel Breakfast Pastries is a type of frozen pastry introduced in 1985 by Pillsbury. It was developed by a young business man whose father reportedly first had the thought to make a flaky treat whilst eating a cherry filled pop-tart. He was convinced that filling a pastry with fruit, and topping it with warm icing would be irresistible - an Americanized version of the Cuban pastelito.”

I first had a Toaster Strudel when I was in high school. My mother bought these for my little sister and one day while I was at home and hungry, which was a very regular thing, I saw these in the freezer and was like “These look like Pop Tarts on crack…” I heated it up in the microwave, totally defeating the purpose of half of this products name, and spread the icing on top. After popping it in my mouth I never went back to eating Pop Tarts.

Pros: Delicious. Warm. Very sweet. Cooks fast. Did I mention it came with icing?

Cons: Not enough in the box. Cannot be eaten on the go. Kinda expensive.

“Pop-Tarts is a brand of rectangular, pre-baked toaster pastries made by the Kellogg Company. Pop-Tarts have a sugary filling sealed inside two layers of rectangular, thin pastry crust. Some varieties are frosted. Although sold pre-cooked, they are designed to be warmed inside a toaster. They are usually sold in pairs inside foil packages, and do not require refrigeration.”

I grew up eating Pop Tarts and they were delicious. We didn’t get them that often so when I ate one it was like heaven in my food hole. I liked the regular ass strawberry one and didn’t understand when they started covering it with sprinkles and making gross ass brown sugar ones.

Pros: Easy to hold. Can be eaten cold. Very cheap. Extra sprinkles means more sugar.

Cons: Lots of bad flavors. Hard to find original flavors. So gross the inventor of Toaster Strudels had to make it better.

The winner is Toaster Strudels. Suck it.

No comments: