Saturday, January 14, 2012

Dante's Work History In Hollywood

This morning was my last day as an assistant editor for reality TV. Talking trash about reality TV is like punching a three legged retarded puppy. Fun for a few minutes but it gets old fast. Before I ever got into any of these jobs I never knew they really existed. A friend asked if I was interested and I said yes since 2009 was the year I couldn’t find a job for shit. I first started in early 2010 on Hell’s Kitchen as a transcriber. What that means is that you listen to interviews from the contestants and write down everything that they say.

Some of you may be saying “That doesn’t sound hard at all.” To which I’d reply “Shut your hole, you pirate hooker!” Or I’d tell you to record one of your friends who is very hyper talking for ten minutes and then type everything they said. Its not a job for everyone and not that many people I know that do it are that good. It takes paying attention and having the ability to spell shit properly.

After working on Hell’s Kitchen I went to this show called WCG The Ultimate Gamer. The difference between transcribing adults and young adults is astounding. The speed levels and anger levels are nuts. I’m talking about adults with anger and young adults with speed.

After this I worked on Little People Big World for a little bit before going to Marcel’s Quantum Kitchen (some scenes I did appear on Youtube) and Face Off on SyFy. With these two shows I ended up transcribing, logging (writing what you saw on screen), some editing, some story work (me and a co-worker got to do an episode before having it taken away), and even art for the show. The art was fun but got nixed at the end for some generic ass stuff.

I ended up back at Hell’s Kitchen and it was cool because I got a chance to do the assistant editing stuff. Like when I first transcribed, I had serious doubts about how well I would do. My main goal was just to not suck too hard (that’s what she said!). Eventually I got the hang of it and was complimented on my work and my work ethic.

If I never get another job in television I’m glad I can say that I did it for a couple of years. I wish I could show some of the stuff I worked with equipment wise to myself a few years ago. I’d be shocked that I didn’t blow any of it up just with a stare. I also met some really cool people which always rules ass.

No comments: