Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Man Fights Dog

Photobucket

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – Police in Colorado say shots were fired at TV bounty hunter Duane "Dog" Chapman and a bail bondsman when they tried to apprehend a man whose bail was revoked on an attempted murder charge. Colorado Springs police Sgt. Roger Vargason says the two were attempting to take 35-year-old Hoang Nguyen into custody at an apartment complex Tuesday night when Nguyen shot at them at least once with a handgun and fled on a motorcycle. No injuries were reported.

Vargason says initial reports showed Chapman and the bondsman were armed only with paintball guns. Police said Chapman apprehended Nguyen early Wednesday. He was due in court Wednesday afternoon.


Paint ball guns? Are you kidding? I know Dog has been in trouble ever since he went off the Mexico to catch that murdering make up guy, but a paint ball gun? At least bring a knife. Hell, even some brass knuckles. Ooh, or some nunchucks! Man, if someone came after me with some nunchucks I would throw my wallet at them.

The thing about find funny about Dog (one of many things) and other bounty hunters is that they look like bounty hunters. Close your eyes and picture one. What did you see?

Leather vest.

Jeans.

Cowboy boots.

Tattoos.

I think I just describe bounty hunters, Mad Max villains, and bikers. If I did some bad shit and knew someone was looking for me, I am on the look out for anyone in leather. If they came at me trying to take me in I’d be like, “Fuck you! Where’s the cops? I’m not going anywhere with you!” How legal in bounty hunting anyway?

In the United States legal system, the 1872 U.S Supreme Court case Taylor v. Taintor, 16 Wall (83 U.S. 366, 21 L.Ed. 287), is cited as having established that the person into whose custody an accused is remanded as part of the accuseds bail has sweeping rights to recover that person (although this may have been accurate at the time the decision was reached, the portion cited was obiter dictum and has no binding precedential value). Most bounty hunters are employed by a bail bondsman: the bounty hunter is paid about 10% of the bail the fugitive initially paid. If the fugitive eludes bail, the bondsman, not the bounty hunter, is responsible for the remainder of the fugitive. This is a way of ensuring his clients arrive at trial. In the United States, bounty hunters catch an estimated 31,500 bail jumpers per year, about 90% of people who jump bail. Bounty hunters are also sometimes known as "bail enforcement agents" or "fugitive recovery agents," which are the preferred industry and polite terms, but they are still sometimes called "bounty hunters".

Oh. I guess its pretty legal.

Rockets.

No comments: