Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Why Won't They Stop?!

Photobucket
I liked the first Saw movie. I rented it years ago. It was a really f-ed up film. Making you look at the things you do to the people around you. No matter what small thing you do has a huge affect on the people that we come in contact with. Then there was Saw 2, 3, 4, and then 5.

I wondered how in the hell these movies could keep going, especially after the damned guy died. This wasn’t like the Jason movies where when someone died they came back. This is somewhat based in reality. Okay. Loosely based in reality. The killer was dead. We saw him die. If what killed him didn’t do it the terminal cancer he had would. But they found a way around that. They had his helper doing the killings. Then she got killed. Now where does that leave us?

The next killer. The movie keeps on going and all is well with the world. There’s nothing left to discuss, right? Nope. Now there is a part 6 coming out and that bothers me to no end.
Alex just posted a list of the next set of sequels coming out and it makes my head spin.

Predator sequel entitled: “Predators” (because the last ones were so awesome, right?)
Alien prequel (leave it be!)
Drop Dead Fred remake (excuse me?)
Wall Street 2 starring Shia LeBeauf (aka The Franchise Kid)
Clueless 2 (huh?)
Who Framed Roger Rabbit 2 (gotta be joking…)
Adventures in Babysitting (oh, hell no!)
Indiana Jones 5 (hahahahaha!!!)
Fast and Furious (the sequel that’s a prequel)
Tron reboot (the first was terrible why make another one?)
Robin Hood (why?)
Terminator: Salvation (which may rock)
Transformers 2 (ugh…)
Da Vinci Code: Angels and Demons (I am excited)
Clash of the Titans (leave it alone!)
Night at the Museum 2 (stop)
Twilight 2 (and I should care because…?)
2 Harry Potter sequels (I skipped the last few)
Wanted 2 (because the first was so good…)
S. Darko (the Donnie Darko sequel that should never be done)
H2: Halloween remake (come on…)
Crank 2 (one of the worst movies ever made!)
Nightmare on Elm Street (is this part 18 or 19?)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (again!)
Toy Story 3 (the 2nd blew hard)
Sin City 2 (not even excited anymore)
Spider-Man 4 (who are the villains?)
X-Men: First Class (because…?)
Batman 3 (yes!)
Iron Man 2 (sorry, Terrance)
Ghostbusters 3 (only Kiyoshi cares)

We movie lovers say that there is a lack of originality and that is why so many sequels are being made. That’s not it. Its because no matter how bad some of these films were they made money. If you want an original film see a foreign one. That is until its made again in America. I am dreading the remakes of “Let the Right One In”, “Old Boy”, and “Night Watch.” Awesome foreign films that someone saw and liked so much that they thought they should make it all over here. Of course I doubt in the remake you’ll see things like live squid eating, slashed vaginas, or half-worlds populated by blood/soul sucking mosquitoes. These are the things that get lost in translation when remaking foreign films. Anyhoot, back to my rant.

There are plenty of original films to be made. I know because I write. I have friends that write and make movies. If you put me, Alex, Cam, Kiyoshi, and Jess in a room and gave us two hours we could make a film that the world would wanna see. Everyone has a great film in them. But for some reason shit rises to the top faster than taste. God, that sounded horrible.

Rockets.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As much as I still scream "HACK!" at Hollywood, you're completely right. The money that these HOR-IFIC sequels and prequels (and all the other -equels) bring in is what is fueling this juggernaut of suck. It just infuriates me because, like you said, I know there are talented groups of writers out there that, put in a room, could devise better stuff than what's out there in a 20 minute period. It's revolting. I vote we stand outside the theatres with mase on opening day and knock the box office numbers down a bit. WHO'S WITH ME!?!?!

Skeptical Halfbreed said...

Me and the whole rest of the world sucka! Ghostbusters 3 will take the film world by storm! Can you believe I saw Let the Right one in DUBBED!? And I still loved it! They will destroy that film! And as big a fan of Oldboy as I am, I am kind of interested in seeing what Spielberg does. I still dread/welcome the remake of Lady Vengeance though. I am such a film apologist. It's funny that you hated Toy Story 3 because "they" regard that as the best of Pixar. Dude, let's get this film started. First, we gotta find some of that pesky funding....