Thursday, April 23, 2009

Seperation Anxiety

Photobucket
Randomly during the day I will jump on wikipedia.org and find a certain topic and read about it. This morning I looked up Malcolm X. That got me linking to other things ranging from The Nation of Islam, Jim Crow Laws, Rosa Parks, and segregation in America.

I don’t normally talk about my race unless its in a joking way or in regards of some stupid act or comment made by a Black person. My mother seems to deny that her own mother is a full blooded Native American and focuses her mental efforts on making sure we all think we are just Black. I think back to when my parents were born in 1950 and 1951 respectively. My mother in Los Angeles and my father in Mississippi. I cant imagine what the hell it must have been like to not be able to do certain things based off of your race.

Now I know some people are already saying “That hasn’t changed.” Oh, but how wrong you are. We can sit here and say that there are jobs, pay, and places we cant go because of our race. But think about the shit we take for granted. When was the last time you couldn’t ride a bus because you were Black. The last time you couldn’t drink from a fountain, go into a place to eat, or worry about being lynched on your lawn. Yeah, its not quite the same now, is it?

Of course there is still shit that is racist. I laugh at the old people that cant let shit go. People who scream for a pure race even though that shit is pretty close to impossible now. I sit here and think of my friends and how they are pretty much all mixed. I have people representing Puerto Rico, Guyana, Mexico, Japan, and Hungary. Its like an episode of Captain Planet. I still don’t understand how people can run around screaming about other races being less than them. We all eat, breathe, and shit. We all hate being hurt. No matter where you were born or when you are a human being full of problems and things that make you smile your ass off. Get over yourself. Stop hating people because of what they happen to look like. Stop saying “I wont talk to them because they are from…” Do you know how much you limit yourself with that silly ass line of thinking? “I wont date her because she’s not my race.” You know how many girlfriends I would have had if I dated only Black chicks? I mean someone that doesn’t include whatever the hell else they are mixed with? One.

There are tons of programs that are set up for one race. Black student unions. Asian student unions. Indian student unions. I have yet to find one White student union. There is no WET (White Entertainment Television). I say let go of all that stuff. In a hundred years everyone is gonna be so damned mixed none of this will even matter. You’ll ask someone what they’re mixed with and they will laugh at you. You know what’s crazy though? If me and my lady ever had a kid (which we both agree will never happen) it would be mixed with Black, Guyanese, and at least three forms of Native American. That kid would be grey.

Rockets.

No comments: