Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Paint By Numbers

So I got a wild hair up my ass last night and decided to paint. I have had supplies laying around for a while (meaning two years!) and all of a sudden decided to do something. I dusted my canvas’ off and dug under my bed for my paint.

Now, I have never claimed to be a good painter. I draw alright. I can write my ass off and defy you to find someone with better stories than me! Go ahead, puppy power. I dare you! I tend to draw in black & white so painting and using colors make me nervous. In junior high and high school I had classes with an artist named Rozzell Sykes. I took classes with him and thought he was just this weird dude that ran St. Elmo’s Village. Turns out that was his house and he was a famous Black Los Angeles artist. He loved my brush strokes and I was happy. I used to like painting. I painted this cool ass car of the future for my father one day. I found it on the side of the bed a few days later and pretty much gave up on painting.

Now I like it again for some reason. Now remember, this is me trying to do something new. If it looks like shit that’s cool. As long as it looks like something, right? The new ones are done with a before and after type shot.

First up is one I did a couple years ago. I like silhouettes and wanted it to kinda say something. I have everyone walking along and this one guy sees something. I burned a hole in the canvas. I was planning on using a clock or a piece of a mirror in the hole but for some reason I like it plain better.
Photobucket
Photobucket
This one is just the lines in the palm of my hand. I was going to add more color but I liked it with just the black & red. I thought about doing this a while ago but finally got around to doing it.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Next was a Guyanese flag I did for my lady (she is half Guyanese). This turned out to be the hardest one for some reason. Maybe because I had to use more than one color.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Last is this skeleton. I wanted it to be kinda like a Jimi Hendrix type of deal. I was gonna put a guitar but didn’t feel like beating folks over the head with what this was. I really like how it came out though.
Photobucket
Rockets.

3 comments:

ZT said...

i'm the SAME way. Love to draw, scared to paint. I've done the same painting like 20 times b/c its the only one i've accepted as good so far. You've inspired me to start trying again... time to pull the easel out.

Lolo said...

wow...you're more talented than i thought :) amazing!

Anonymous said...

Dude, seriously, how are you so friggin' talented? Ironically, I enjoy painting by numbers too. Only all of my pictures come conveniently in a little book that I can purchase at any and all participating Big Lots.