Tuesday, March 17, 2015

My Poor Teefus

So I went to the dentist today. I know that may not sound like a big deal to many of you because you go to the dentist every year or whatever amount of time they say you should. But not me. The last time I had any dental work done was when I was 9 years old. My teeth were fucked. Between cavities, brushing my teeth in five seconds, and knocking out all of the ones in front on a skateboard, teeth were not something I cared about. But today it was time to pay the piper.

A few days before my birthday I was coming back from Gelson's. I'd just bought a pack of gum and was happy. I popped a piece in and as I made my way into my apartment felt a crunch. I knew that something was not right. Gum doesn't crunch. Usually. So I pull the gum out and sure enough a piece of tooth is there. Which one? I head to my bathroom to find out. I am pissed because me and my cousin were gonna head to Project Taco for the first time.

I check in the mirror and a small piece of a back tooth is no longer there. It doesn't hurt or anything. Just annoying. Fast forward to this morning when I keep waking up because I am grinding my teeth. When I wake up I can feel that the same tooth has another piece coming free. I call and set up a dental appointment and head there. After an x-ray the doctor comes in and tells me what is wrong and shows me. The tooth is fucked. My old ass fillings are as well but not as much as this tooth. She removed the small piece and it felt better. It had felt like I had popcorn stuck in there.

She showed me how jacked up my fillings were and explained that I'd have to get a root canal soon to save the tooth. Also a crown. I'm not looking forward to this but thankfully can have it taken care of. Tomorrow I am gonna go and check on getting insurance. Yes. I am one of those people that never signed up for it. The last time I went to a dentist was 14 years ago for a cleaning. As an adult I realize that I fucked up by not taking care of this sooner. Now I gotta pay. And I am okay with that. Sorta.  

No comments: