Thursday, April 3, 2014

"Whipping Boy" by Dante Ross


“Whipping boy: a boy formerly raised with a prince or other young nobleman and whipped for the latter's misdeeds.”

Four close to 500 years there has been a whipping boy in my family. Well, that's until I was born. My parents couldn't have kids for a while until I popped up. My mother cried tears of joy while my dad tried to figure out how to handle this whole situation. My name is Wendy and I'm a whipping boy.

I'm 15 now and asked them to change it to “whipping girl” until I was 13 but dad said that would create a whole new situation that made it fine for girls to be whipping boys and that he didn't want to “make it into a thing.” Every time he didn't want to deal with something it was a “thing.” Mom hated the fact that I even had to do the whipping boy stuff. I think she thought I was gonna start liking it or some shit. I mean, I don't hate it, but it's not fun either. It would probably be easier if the guy, Anton, that I took licks for wasn't such a dick. He does stuff on purpose just to get me into trouble.

Two weeks ago he took a glass of red punch and poured it all over the carpet while I was downstairs watching TV. Next thing I know Hanson is dragging me upstairs by the back of my neck while Anton is smiling. I'm getting ahead of myself. I should probably, like, tell you who everyone is.

Me (Wendy): 5'8”. Half German half English. Born in Palos Verdes, CA.

Anton: Spawn of Satan.

Mom: Nice English woman who lost her accent before I was born. Smart but plays dumb to keep dad happy.

Dad: Stern German guy. Very old fashioned. Has dressed the same for, like, 20 years!

Hanson: the guy who kicks my ass when Anton acts up. Not sure where he's even from. Some place evil I guess. Like Detroit.

“Bet that hurts!” Anton laughs while I am pinned against the wall and hit with a leather strap by Hanson. “Oh, I am so not gonna drop stuff on the floor again!” I block him out most times but I was watching Teen Mom and am pissed that I'll miss it now.

I'm not allowed to talk back while this is happening.

I have to admit that this is getting harder and harder to do as time goes on. I watch shows where girls my age are hanging with their friends and kissing boys meanwhile I am schooled at home. I pretty much learn whatever Anton is learning because as part of being what I am I have to sit through Hanson's teachings.

Hanson misjudges his swing when Anton “accidentally” bumps into his arm and the strap hits me across the back of my neck. I'm not a hundred percent sure what happened after that. Hanson told my parents and Anton's that I overpowered him and choked out Anton with the strap. Either way, I'm no longer a whipping boy.

:)  

No comments: