Thursday, April 10, 2014

Dante Learns The 9th Amendment


It has been a while since I tried to learn the Amendments and as soon as I tried learning this 9th Amendment my eyes started crossing. This doesn't make sense to me and I'm wondering if its because I am trying to make more of it than there is.

“The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.”

This is by far one of the most confusing Amendments that I have come across. It reads like psychobabble. Even explanations of it confuse me. “The Ninth Amendment explicitly bars denial of unenumerated rights if the denial is based on the enumeration of certain rights in the Constitution, but this amendment does not explicitly bar denial of unenumerated rights if the denial is based on the enumeration of certain powers in the Constitution. It is to that enumeration of powers that the courts have pointed, in order to determine the extent of the unenumerated rights mentioned in the Ninth Amendment.”


So does this mean, like, you can't deny people shit from the Constitution if it is or isn't in the Constitution because its an Amendment that...? I don't know. I guess you can't deny rights of the people just because it isn't specifically written down in the Constitution. Whatever. My head hurts and I need to go buy more Fruity Pebbles.

Click here for previous Dante Learns The Amendments.

No comments: