Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Cool Shit Black People Invented: Patricia Bath


Dr. Patricia Bath was born in Harlem, New York and like me believes that lasers are awesome and can be used for things more than scaring the bejeezus out of your enemies. She received a patent for a laser that is used to remove cataracts more better. That was a terribly written sentence. Don't quote me on that one. She created this thing that could more accurately remove cataracts because before then I believe it was like “I think we got it...”

She is to blindness what kicking knees is to Anderson Silva: destructive. She hates blindness more than anyone you'll ever meet. She sees blindness and just goes “Ungh...” and clinches her beautiful little Black fists. Before her patent...one second. Why don't we hear of people we know getting patents? Its not like we ever hear “Oh, yeah. Dante is getting a patent on that pill he's developing that gives you wet dreams.” As I was saying, before she made this they were using drilling and grinding to remove then. Can you imagine that shit?! I can and it makes my ass clinch so fast it whistles.

Science!!!

Dr. Bath also created another device that can cure blindness in some people. In the mid-70's she became the first Black female surgeon to work at the UCLA Medical Center and the first woman to work at the Jules Stein Eye Institute. I used to work at UCLA and know that place very well. Clean, quiet, and everyone had eye patches on. Blindness keeps on rearing its ugly head so she founded the American Institute for the Prevention of Blindness.

How cataracts are removed in the future.

I would've loved to have learned this in school. Instead I was treated to pictures of Black people crammed into ships, dying, getting whipped, and singing songs while picking cotton. Fuck singing! I'm not picking shit. You gonna have to kill me. I would've been the worst slave ever. “You want me to do what? For free?!” 12 Minutes A Slave.

Click here for previous Cool Shit Black People Invented.  

No comments: